Thursday, April 8, 2010

Spring!

Everything is quickly growing (almost faster than we can keep up with!). It has been so warm that the plants require watering as often as possible. Work and pick applications are due soon for this summer, and I am excited to participate again!



I am happy to follow these greenhouse plants from seedling to fruit. The sun is out, too, so I have a bit of cabin fever. I am ready for sun on my skin and fresh greens to eat! I heard somewhere that in certain cultures of India, it is believed that eating close to the land or returning to one's place of origin to eat from the land is a rejuvenating process. Whether or not this is true, I have to agree that last summer I felt a difference in my body from receiving most of my food from the organic garden.

Last summer, I also finished reading Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver. Kingsolver and her family spent an entire year eating only local foods and producing much of their own food themselves. She made a wonderful point about local eating -- One does not need to source everything locally. Buying local items when possible can make an impact on the local economy, the environment, and one's well being.

No comments:

Post a Comment