Sunday, April 18, 2010

Chelsea Market Food Tour



Yesterday I went on a food tour of Chelsea Market in New York City. I had some of the most amazing food here. In a way, the market reminded me of the Strip District, only indoors. Check out the details here. Here are the highlights of the three hour tour:

Elena's
The first stop was at Elena's, a bakery. Here we were given an entire "oatmeal everything" cookie. This cookie was almost the size of my face and worth every bite. They ship out of state... we asked (as Americans, we expect to get these cookies whenever we want!).

Ronny Brook Milk Bar
Here we sampled whole chocolate milk. My family was curious about the pasteurization process, so I was able to talk with them about the possible health benefits of whole milk. They decided it was good, but too fattening for them!

The Lobster Place
Our tour guide showed us a live lobster and how to calm him down (by rubbing the top of his head). He said the sign of a good seafood store is that it smells like the ocean, but not "fishy." We each had a cup of lobster bisque. When I was a kid, I proclaimed lobster as my favorite food (even though I only had it once a year). This made my inner child very happy!

All other stops were equally impressive and tasty. After the tour, we walked around and explored more shops. The idea of the market is that you can go and buy your party dress and your groceries for your big event all in one stop. This is probably far from what Nabisco thought the building would turn into (Nabisco's bakery originated in the building). The building is also home to the Food Network. The buildings surrounding Chelsea Market are a part of the meatpacking district. Any building with an awning was a meatpacking location.

No comments:

Post a Comment